Sunday, June 25, 2006

Kool-Aid Yarn Dyeing Adventures!











Another fun new thing! There was plenty of Bernat Lana Merino Wool in the clearance bin at HL, so I thought I'd give it a try!

First is the unsuspecting yarn itself, bwahaha!

Next is my prep; 3 c water, 1 c white vinegar, 3 pks Strawberry-Lemon Kool-Aid, 3.5 oz. of wool soaking for 15 minutes in hot water. I brought the dye mix almost to a simmer, squeezed ALL of the water out of my yarn, and stirred it into the pot!

I brought my "yarn soup" up to a simmer & cooked it for 30 minutes. All of the pink was absorbed and there was only slightly cloudy water left in the pot!


I turned off the pot after 30 minutes and lifted the yarn out with tongs & put into some clean warm water in a Pyrex bowl. I rinsed my yarn & admired it! Now, I didn't squeeze ALL of the water out of my yarn, so the color is not as even! Now I have to decide if I want to leave it like that or try again . . .



I made another skein; repeated the process with 2 packs Strawberry and 1 pack Cherry Kool-Aid; this time I made SURE I squeezed ALL the hot water out of my yarn BEFORE I put it into the "dye soup."


And Voila'! I may try to get a better pic tomorrow morning; this one just doesn't do justice to the color!


The finished product; yes, it WAS a pain in the rear to untangle! It took about 2 hours a skein!!!

5 comments:

  1. When you take the yarn out of the "soup" isn't it a big tangled mess? I want to try this, but it intimidates me. Your colors are really pretty. I like that the color isn't even on the first - it will look nice when you have shades of color in your finished piece. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, we'll see, I'm about to try to untangle the dried yarn!

    I'll post my results!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow that looks awesome I'd love to have a go with Kool Aid but I wouldn't know where to start lol
    p.s. I put you link button on my blog I hope you don't mind ^_^

    Petra

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've tagged (http://knittedpainting.blogspot.com/2006/07/ive-been-tagged.html) you! I'm sorry if you don't like those type of things but I did it and I thought it was fun to do ^_^ Feel free to ignore!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous3:58 PM

    Wind your skein of yarn onto the back of a chair and then tie it in several places, about 4 places...loosely along the skein of yarn. This will prevent it from being a tangled mess.

    A simmer might bee too hot for wool, so be careful as that may felt it, which might also be why you got a big tangle. I have dyed yarn on med/low where the water was just barely hot enough to burn me.

    Dyeing is fun...happy experimenting!

    ReplyDelete