Thursday, July 02, 2009

Playing/Singing During/After Pregnancy

Bruce Hembd posted an amazing video of Helene Tomböck playing the Long Call in the 9th month of her pregnancy:



The subject of Playing/Singing During/After Pregnancy is one that has gone around before, but it bears repeating. Back in the days before YouTube, I kept right on playing through my pregnancy, to the delight of my OB/GYN, who thought it could do nothing but improve my breathing and tone muscles for the event to come. The only difficulty I really experienced was finding "prego" concert black options and where to rest my bell! I played principal on Overture to Die Meistersinger with the university orchestra eight hours before going into labor, 6th or 7th horn (can't remember) in Mahler 2 with Youngstown Symphony four weeks after delivering, and my master's recital a month after that.

Mommies of the horn world, what was your experience?

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous12:53 PM

    My pregnancy experience while horn playing was simply awful! Horn playing got really, really difficult for me. Swollen lips, loss of lung capacity- it was a nightmare. It got so bad I actually stopped playing 1st horn for the last 3 months or so, and instead played 3rd horn and assistant. My section was fortunately very understanding. To each their own, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment, Julia!

    Indeed, it seems every horn mommy's experience has been very different. Variables seem to include height (I'm 5' 11"), age (I was 22 when I had my son), and physicality (Jean Rife wrote an extensive response concerning her yoga practice and its effect in the original discussion at http://www.hornplayer.net/archive/a264.html).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was playing in an Air Force band during my first pregnancy. Playing marches really bothered me at the end - I felt like my head was going to explode. I lost a lot of lung capacity (I'm 5'1"). During my second pregnancy, I split the muscles down the middle of my stomach (that's a usually permanent condition called distasis recti). I have recently (almost 2 years post partum) been to a physical therapist to get exercises to re-strenghten my core. Before starting these exercises, I felt a real lack of power while playing (and back pain if I had to play while standing).

    ReplyDelete